Lets be honest mac and cheese is life. There is nothing more satisfying or comforting than pasta and cheese. If you still want to enjoy your beloved mac ‘n’ cheese but want something a bit better for you then give this one a go, and enjoy every morsel. No jokes, this one is waaaay better than normal mac ‘n’ cheese.
Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- 250g Macaroni Pasta
- 1 Tbsp Non-dairy Butter
- 1/2 Cup Wholemeal or Plain Flour
- 2 Cup water
- 1 Medium Onion (diced)
- 2 Cloves Garlic (finely diced)
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp Mustard
- Extra water to cook onions
- about 1/2 Cup Breadcrumbs
- Cook pasta according to packet. Preheat oven to 200C on bake.
- Saute onions and garlic with a splash or water in a medium sized pot. Remove from pan once soft.
- Melt butter over a low heat in the pot and stir in the flour and mustard. Gradually add the water to avoid the sauce getting lumpy. Keep stirring over a low heat until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat and add in the nutritional yeast, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drain pasta then put back into the pot you cooked it in. Stir in the sauce.
- Spread the pasta mix into an oven safe dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and some extra oregano and parsley if wish.
- Place in oven and cook for about 15-20 mins until crumbs brown and get crispy. Allow to cool for 5 mins before serving.